Have you ever had a delicious blueberry pie, blueberry cobbler, blueberry muffin, or blueberry anything and wished that you could consume it in liquid, intoxicating form? Well, boy, do we have a recipe for you! This is a recipe you can share with family and friends (above 21 years of age in the United States) around a campfire or in your basements and away from the judgmental eyes of the public.
With this recipe, you can learn how to make Blueberry Moonshine. We’ll also show you a couple of recipe variations.
Now, don’t think of this as the old-timey, corn squeezing, prohibition-level moonshine that people made in bathtubs in their basements and kept away from the coppers. It’s an Everclear-Vodka concoction that will smack you right in your moonshine-loving face, but it goes down easy with a full blueberry flavor for the tongue to savor.
This is supposed to be a slow sip drink and not a gulp-it-down-as-quick-as-you-can drink like other homemade moonshine recipes tend to be. This drink, though similar in appearance to some sorts of moonshine, will not have the exact same effects, but it’s a strong drink that can be stored in jugs or jars like the real deal.
Get a Moonshine Still Kit If You Want To Make Your Own Alcohol
Investing in a quality moonshine still kit is one of the best decisions you will ever make if you are planning on making moonshine alcohol on your own.
Home DIY moonshine kits just don’t cut it because these devices never give you as much control over various aspects such as temperature, pressure level and time. Your production methods can have a huge impact on the taste of your moonshine.
When you have little control over the processes, you will end up with a product that tastes different every single time.
With a quality moonshine kit you can fine tune your technique until you can produce the perfect blend of blueberry moonshine every single time. These kits are also ideal for making a wide range of other types of alcoholic beverages.
If you are looking for a great moonshine kit to get then we recommend you consider this 5 Gallon stovetop kit.
The moonshine kit comes complete with everything you need for making your own blueberry moonshine. Most of the parts are made of quality 304 food grade Stainless steel that will never discolor or rust.
The kit includes a 5 gallon fermentation barrel that has a one-way pressure relief valve as well as 3 clamps that allow you to create an air tight seal on your barrel. The barrel also has a false bottom that keeps your products away from the base and prevents these items from settling.
A distillation tower is also included in the set.
The distillation tower has stainless steel coils built inside the chamber that is designed to cool down the liquid for condensation. Copper tubes would have been preferable but stainless steel will also work great for making your own moonshine.
You also get a 120V water pump that is used to add cold water to the distillation tower which allows vapors to rapidly cool down for condensation.
The moonshine still is ideal for making moonshine but can be used to make several different types of alcoholic beverages.
Main materials – 304 Food grade stainless steel
Size – 32 x 32 x 46cm (75cm assembly height)
Still type – Stovetop still with fermentation barrel and distillation tower
Barrel capacity – 5 gallons
Coil materials – Stainless steel
Suited for – Make moonshine as well as other types of alcoholic beverages
Included – Fermentation barrel with false bottom and distillation tower, water pump, filter bag, two 1.5m silicone tubes, 3-in-1 alcohol meter, thread seal tape, 250ml measuring cylinder, temperature sticker, and airlock and silicone stopper.
- The moonshine kit includes everything you need for DIY home brewing
- You can use it on any type of stove top including gas, induction and electric
- It is ideal for brewing 3 – 4 liters of spirits at a time
- The fermentation barrel comes with a false bottom that keeps your produce off the base
- The entire kit is made of high quality stainless steel that never rusts or discolors
- The kit has a compact vertical design
- A water pump is included to continuously add chilled water to the distillation tower
- The set also includes an alcohol meter
- Copper coils in the distillation tower would have been better
- It can be hard to remove spent grain from your fermentation barrel
If you want to learn how to use a moonshine still kit to make your own moonshine at home then be sure to check out our other recipes and tutorials.
How to Make Blueberry Moonshine
Now that you have a moonshine still kit all ready, you can get things started on making a batch of this heavenly blueberry moonshine
750 ml 190 proof Everclear
½ cup of vanilla whipped Vodka
1 can of blueberry pie filling
1 cup of brown sugar
½ gallon of blueberry juice or juice cocktail
1 tub of fresh or frozen blueberries
5 cinnamon sticks
Place the juice, whole blueberries, and cinnamon sticks into a large pot.
When the mixture comes to a simmer, throw in the brown sugar and can of blueberry pie filling. Allow the mixture to come back to a simmer and continue mixing for about 25 minutes.
After the blueberries are soft and tender and the sugar has dissolved, kill the heat and let the mixture rest for 2-3 hours or unit the mixture is room temperature.
After reaching room temperature, add the vanilla whipped vodka and Everclear. Mix the alcoholic drinks into the mixture until fully incorporated.
Transfer the mixture into jars or jugs and leave it in the refrigerator for at least five days.
Unlike several homemade moonshine recipes that you can find online, this Blueberry Moonshine is strong and leaves a harsh feeling in your mouth and throat. The alcohol is not covered by the blueberries but rather accented by the sweet and tart fruit. This drink is most enjoyable when taking light, slow sips. In general, the taste of moonshine will develop the longer it’s left to rest. The recommended time is five days but feel free to wait up to a week or two before trying this drink.
Similar to other cocktails, you may want to experiment with the different types of alcohol and their ratios for a blueberry moonshine recipe. You can absolutely add bourbon or rum to the mixture to add a more oaky or sweet flavors.
Add These Twists to Your Recipe
There are several variations to this recipe where people have added their own special twists to this moonshine.
- Substitute the vanilla whipped vodka with two tablespoons of vanilla extract. This will remove the float-like flavor that the vodka gives to cocktails, and instead give it a hint of pure vanilla with each sip.
- While transferring the cooked mixture into jugs or mason jars, strain the whole blueberries out and then chill. Some people like to fish the sweet, mushy blueberries out from the bottom of their mason jars. Some don’t, so it’s up to you whether you want to leave them. The leftover blueberries in an aging moonshine mixture will hardly add any flavor. Also, the little berries won’t absorb that much alcoholic mixture.
- Replace brown sugar with the same amount of white sugar. If you want your blueberry to taste more like juice then feel free to use white sugar. If you want a more blueberry pie-taste to your moonshine, then you should stick with brown sugar. The extra molasses that comes with brown sugar will definitely add a different compared to plain white sugar.
- Add four tablespoons of cornstarch and two tablespoons of butter to the mixture while it’s simmering. The cornstarch will act to bind the mixture together to create a thicker, creamier consistency to your moonshine, especially as it cools in the fridge. The butter also makes the moonshine thicker but it will also add a nutty flavor to the concoction.
- Replace the tub of fresh or frozen blueberries with two tin cans of blueberry in heavy syrup. By substituting fresh or frozen berries for sugary, syrupy blueberries, you’re accepting the risk of contracting diabetes after finish one mason jar full of your homemade blueberry moonshine. Canned blueberries in heavy syrup are high in sugar and glucose syrup which numbs the natural tartness of the fruit. Each bite of the syrupy blueberries will leave an explosion of delicious, sweet goodness that’ll easily raise your blood sugar levels.
- For a more kid friendly version of this moonshine (DO NOT give this to below the legal drinking age in your country), you can pour your mixture into popsicle molds and let it freeze overnight. Take it out and serve. Each bite of this cold dessert will give you a slight buzz, but the blueberry taste can be lost in the frost. If your ultimate goal is to get drunk in public then bring a dozen of these to your next outdoor picnic. People will be confused as you slowly become intoxicated after each popsicle you eat.
7. Replace ¼ gallon of the blueberry fruit juice with sparkling lemonade. The added lemony drink will add another dimension of sweet and sour that will make your moonshine more palatable with the more pronounced contrasts in flavor. Blueberries and lemons are a match made in heaven, especially with sugar to balance the natural sourness from both fruits.