Magnum All-in-One Still Manual
For everything you need to know about making moonshine, check out our complete How to Make Moonshine Guide
S A F E T Y F I R S T
- ALWAYS OPERATE YOUR STILL ON A FLAT, DRY, AND WELL- VENTILATED AREA .
- USE CAUTION WHEN HANDLING. CONTENT AND SURFACE AREA OF THE STILL WILL BE HOT TO THE TOUCH .
- BEFORE OPERATING YOUR STILL, DISTILL WATER TO REMOVE ANY BY PRODUCTS FROM MANUFACTURING.
- THIS UNIT CAN BE DANGEROUS FOR CHILDREN . DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO ACCESS OR OPERATE THIS UNIT.
- DO NOT REMOVE THE TOP COVER WHEN THE STILL IS OPERATING.
- AN AIRLOCK IS NECESSARY WHEN DOING CLOSED AIR FERMENTATION . CONTENTS ARE UNDER PRESSURE. IT IS DANGEROUS TO FERMENT WITHOUT AN AIRLOCK TO RELEASE PRESSURE.
- ALWAYS ALLOW THE STILL TO COOL DOWN BEFORE USING.
- DURING OPERATION , YOUR STILL AND ITS OUTPUT WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT, MAKE SURE TO KEEP HANDS AND FACE CLEAR DURING OPERATION OF YOUR STILL.
Assembling your Magnum Still:
- Remove all the parts of the still from the fermentation barrel.
- Attach the thermometer to the vapor chamber.
- Place the false bottom on the inside of the pot.
- Attach the lid with the clips on the side.
- Screw both valves in place on the lid and place the airlock on top of one of them. The valves need to be open for fermenting and closed for distilling.
- When fermenting, place a gasket and then the plate on top of the open place and the lid and secure with a clamp.
- To distill, remove the plate and attach the vapor chamber with a clamp. Hand tighten to snug.
- Screw the valve in place at the top of the vapor chamber.
- Attach the condenser to the vapor chamber by placing a washer over the opening and securing it with a clamp.
- Attach the moonshine spout by screwing it into the condenser.
- Attach each silicone tube to the valves located on the small pot with the copper coil The lower tube will be attached to the water pump.
Once you have successfully assembled your still, it is important to run your still full of water to remove any impurities that may be present from the manufacturing process.
Taking this extra step is a great way to protect yourself from any lingering by-products of the manufacturing process but will also help you become familiar and more comfortable with your machine.
How to Distill Water
STEP 1 - Assemble your still for distilling • Follow the directions above or watch our video for easy visual instructions • Fill the pot of the still with water and attach the lid.
STEP 2 - DISTIL
• Place your water pump in cold water (you can probably use your kitchen sink.)
• Place your still on your stove and set the heat to medium-high. You can always adjust the heat as necessary.
• As your still warms up, you will notice output from the long spout. Be sure you have something underneath it to collect your distilled water.
• Once you have completed your run, be sure to turn off the heat and the water pump.
• Do not handle the still until it is fully cooled.
How to Make Essential Oils
- Place the clean plant material in the pot of the Magnum All-in-one still and add enough water to cover.
- The amount of water necessary to fill your still varies depending on the type of plant used.
- Place your water pump in cold water (you can probably use your kitchen sink.)
- Place your still on your stove and set the heat to medium-high. You can always adjust the heat as necessary.
- As your still warms up, you will notice output from the long spout. Be sure you have something underneath it to collect your distilled water.
- It is recommended to keep a close eye on the output and collect in fractions. The reason for this is because the quality of output will drop off at the end of your run and you will want to discard this 'cooked' output.
- Collect a maximum distillate of 80% of the volume of water put in the boiler to make sure it does not boil dry and cook the plant material.
- The distillate collected will be mainly hydrosol (water-based plant extract) but there will be essential oil with it.
- The oil will separate out over time and will float on the surface (for nearly all oils, there are a few which are denser than water and will end up on the bottom).
- Once you have completed your run, be sure to turn off the heat and the water pump. Do not handle the still until it is fully cooled.
- The oil can then be separated off from the hydrosol by pipette or with an oil separator used in cooking.
- Hydrosol can also often be used in many applications (rose water, lavender water, etc). Yields of oil are low, a yield of 1-2% is considered good.
How to Distill Spirits
In order to prepare a mash or wash for spirit distillation, it must first be fermented. Making spirits is a three-step process. Each step needs to be completed properly in order for the process to work.
One of the benefits of the Magnum All-in-One still is the fact that you can use the pot still as both a still and a fermentor. This means less equipment to buy and store.
Assembling your Still for Fermentation:
Fermentation is the second step of making moonshine. The first step is to prepare a mash. If you are making a mash using grain you will need to check for conversion. While you are making a mash, you need to convert your grains from starch into fermentable sugars.
Once converted, your mash needs to be fermented. The most important part of fermenting is to remember to open your valve and insert your airlock. Your airlock is going to tell you what is going on inside your still. It is also going to allow the carbon dioxide to escape and avoid any unnecessary accidents
Why is an Airlock Important?
During the fermentation process, yeast is eating the fermentable sugars and turning them into alcohol.
This process releases carbon dioxide. Just picture the tiny bubbles that rise to the surface when you drink. If the bubbles are not able to escape they can build up and cause an explosion.
Obviously, this is dangerous. So it is important to either ferment without a lid (not recommended) or to always open the valve and use the airlock.
Before starting your first run, it is important to become familiar with the process of making moonshine.
It is a three-step process that requires precision and attention to detail.
We strongly suggest becoming familiar with the 'How to Make Moonshine' PDF that was sent to you.
Any grain-based alcohol needs to be fractioned. If you are unfamiliar with this process check out the information in our How to Make Moonshine guide.
We strongly suggest distilling water as a first step to become familiar with your still.
Is It Illegal to Make Moonshine?
The laws regarding the personal distillation of spirits vary from state to state and country to country. For your own personal protection, it is important to look up the laws in your area to see what permits need to be obtained in order to fulfill the requirements for your area.
For more information, please read Is Moonshine Illegal?